Dante & Chinese Martial Arts
World renowned Ninjutsu Headmaster Sensei Toshitsugu Takamatsu once said that
"a Shaolin fighter and a shorinji boxer were the most dangerous enemies he ever met"
Above: 1984 Dante (left) training with Gong Fu & 5th Dan Tae Kwon Do Master Bill Hall
Dante (Black Dragon) began his Martial Arts training in Shaolin Gong Fu at 14 yrs of age under the guidance of his uncle and sifu Col. Dennis Dionne in Los Angeles, CA. By age 16 Dante began broadening his skills under other teachers. At age 17, Dante came to meet the renowned Grandmaster Arnold Ufford in Vernal, UT. There he would begin a journey toward mastery of mind-body-spirit.
Physical training included:
- Endurance (Sparring/drills); Strength (Core/limb Postures, Forms); Flexibility (Stretching indvl/team); Balance (Sparring & Forms on Plum Stumps); Speed (Blocking, Striking, Kicking); Accuracy (Pressure Points, Forms on rice paper); Agility, Acrobatics & Ground Techniques (Rolling, cartwheels, handsprings, flips, leaping/jumping).
Mental Training included:
- Breath control, Meditation, Awareness, Healing, Relaxation, and more.
Weapons training included:
- Short & long sticks (gun), Swords (dao - broad swords, tai chi sword), 9-section whip chain (jiu jie bian), three-section-stick (san jie gun), Butterfly knives (húdié shuāng dāo), Projectile weapons (knives/stars/darts), Sai, Spears, Nunchaku, and more.
Training time frames/style/location:
- 1978 - 1980 Shaolin Gong Fu, Los Angeles, CA
- 1980 - 1981 Shaolin Gong Fu, Post Falls, ID
- 1981 - 1986 Golden Praying Mantis Gong Fu / Chi Gong / Temple Guard, Vernal, UT
Dante's extensive development in martial philosophy and strategy would imbue him with the martial virtues of discipline, humility, restraint and respect.
Today, Dante enjoys imparting these ancient martial philosophies so that others may enjoy the mental, physical and spiritual growth that results in a more fulfilling and happier life.
SELECT PHOTOS OF DANTE'S TRAINING IN CHINESE ARTS
Below: 1984 Dante demonstrating techniques with the Double Broad Swords
Below: 1984 Dante demonstrating the whip-chain
Below: 1984 Dante demonstrating techniques with Sai
Below: 1984 Dante demonstrating techniques with Nunchaku
Below: 1984 Dante demonstrating techniques with the Spear
Below: 1984 Dante (left) training with Gong Fu & 5th Dan Tae Kwon Do Master Bill Hall
1984 Dante (right) training with Gong Fu & 5th Dan Tae Kwon Do Master Bill Hall
School Emblem - Dante holds a teaching license in Golden Praying Mantis Chi Gong